Monday, February 8, 2010

Knit Flower Headband

**UPDATE: click here for google doc of pattern**

I was looking for a fun option of headgear for the winter months. After seeing a few cute things at different stores I decided upon a
knit headband with a crochet or knit flower attachment. I found a few patterns online but after making them I decided it might just be best to write my own pattern to tailor my exact wants and needs.

I saw this in a store and decided I wanted to make something that looked similar to this.


This is what I came up with.



You can make this headband with or without the attached flower or even attach something else! I have thought about large jewels or maybe a butterfly for a young girl.

Knit Flower Headband

Size 10 needles

Crochet hook sz J

Bulky weight yarn used (I used Lion Brand in Oatmeal)

Button for clasp

Cast on 7 stitches

Row 1: K, P, K till end of row

Row 2: P, K, P till end of row

Row 3,4: continue in rib pattern

Increase Rows:

Row 5: K, P, K, M1B, M1F, P, K, P, K (9 sts)

Row 6, 7, 8: Continue in rib pattern

Row 9: K, P, K, P, K, P, M1F, M1B, K, P, K (11 sts)

Row 10, 11, 12: Continue in rib pattern

Row 13: K, P, K, P, K, M1B, M1F, P, K, P, K, P, K (13 sts)

Row 14, 15, 16: Continue in rib pattern

Row 17: K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, M1F, M1B, K, P, K, P, K (15 sts)

Row 18, 19, 20: Continue in rib pattern

Row 21: K, P, K, P, K, P, K, M1B, M1F, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K (17 sts)

Row 22, 23, 24: Continue in rib pattern

Row 25: K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, M1F, M1B, K, P, K, P, K, P, K (19 sts)

Row 26, 27, 28: Continue in rib pattern

Row 29: K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K, M1B, M1F, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K (21 sts)

Row 30, 31, 32: Continue in rib pattern

Row 33: K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, M1F, M1B, K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K (23 sts)

Continue in rib pattern for 5-6 inches. Depends on the total length you need the headband to be.

Decrease Rows

Row 1: K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P2tog, K2tog, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K (21 sts)

Row 2, 3, 4: Continue in rib pattern

Row 5: K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K2tog, P2tog, K, P, K, P, K, P, K (19 sts)

Row 6, 7, 8: Continue in rib pattern

Row 9: K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P2tog, K2tog, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K (17 sts)

Row 10, 11, 12: Continue in rib pattern

Row 13: K, P, K, P, K, P, K, P, K2tog, P2tog, K, P, K, P, K (15 sts)

Row 14, 15, 16: Continue in rib pattern

Row 17: K, P, K, P, K, P2tog, K2tog, P, K, P, K, P, K (13 sts)

Row 18, 19, 20: Continue in rib pattern

Row 21: K, P, K, P, K, P, K2tog, P2tog, K, P, K (11 sts)

Row 22, 23, 24: Continue in rib pattern

Row 25: K, P, K, P2tog, K2tog, P, K, P, K (9 sts)

Row 26, 27, 28: Continue in rib pattern

Row 29: K, P, K, P, K2tog, P2tog, K (7 sts)

Row 30, 31, 32, 33: Continue in rib pattern

Finishing Touches

- Attach flower (opt)

- Attach button

- Crochet hook slightly smaller than button and attach to opposite end as button

18 comments:

  1. I want to make this headband for my lovely daughter. I was wonder if you could explain how you made the flower. She is going back to school on Sunday and I want to finish it before she leaves. If you could email me that would be great! My email address is witknit@hotmail.com.

    Thanks Bunches!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pattern! I enjoyed knitting it. Very quick and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to make the flower to go with headband. My email is cdallas@roadrunner.com.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! Glad you all have enjoyed the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Katie,
    I love your pattern also! I would also like the flower pattern. Is it knit or crocheted?
    Thanks,
    nejduprey@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello everyone... Here is the post with the crochet flower pattern.

    http://krafty-katie.blogspot.com/2010/04/crochet-flower.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katie and readers,
    I read somewhere in ravelry, I think, that there is a knitted flower pattern in Stitch and Bitch Nation. There is --actually 2 so that you can sew the smaller on top. It's cute and closely resembles the one on your headband.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! That could definitely help some of my readers that only knit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only know how to crochet and I would love to make these headbands...they are so cute! Do you have a pattern for crocheting these? If so, can you please email it to me at jen_millward@hotmail.com. Thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen,

    I do not currently have a crochet pattern. However, I was planning on making some of these as Christmas gifts and was already considering trying to convert this into a crochet pattern. I will keep you posted on my progress with this.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am confused with the mif and mib. Do you do you both in a lifted bar or is it like kfb? Help. janhazen@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about the confusion with the instructions on the pattern.

    You will knit (or purl) the stitch then make one by knitting (or purling) the bar in between stitches. Then you continue in the pattern to the end of the row. If you were to kfb then you would end up with to knit stitches or two purl stitches next to each other and then you wouldn't be staying in the rib pattern.

    You also can watch the videos here http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary

    Just make sure you are following in the rib pattern as you do your increases. I hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you happen to make the crochet pattern yet? I only crochet also and have been looking all across the web for a pattern that looks like this but I can only find knitting ones.
    My email is: kimpelo@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. How do you make the button hole?

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your pattern does not include the instructions for what appears to be a button hole in the charcoal gray headband pictured. Can you tell me how to do that?
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of the best things about this headband is that its so stretch that I didn't even make a buttonhole. The button was simply sewn on and then you can adjust the headband however you would like.

    ReplyDelete
  17. yes I was wondering about a crocheted pattern. very cute headbands. I love them for my daughter. If you have a pattern can you post or email to vc4girlscouting@yahoo.com. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  18. I wondered if you've inserted button holes within your pattern or just stretched the yarn over the buttons?

    ReplyDelete