Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Storage Boxes

I have read many tutorials about how to make your own storage boxes. When my mom went to go throw out some cardboard boxes that were all the same size, I stopped her. I thought what a perfect chance to try something new. I used an old sheet that was most likely going to get thrown out and some leftover fabric I used for a dress I was making.

I also discovered that I love modge podge. It is truly wonderful and very easy to make. I simply mixed Elmer's All Purpose Glue with water. I didn't measure but I would have to say I used about equal parts. Simple, right?

Here is everything you need to make these boxes (minus the fabric). You can use scraps or old sheets like I did. Be creative!

First you need to get all your supplies together. Boxes, fabric, box cutter, modge podge, and a brush. Scissors also make it easier to work with large pieces of fabric.



Cut the top flaps off the box. Cut a length of fabric that will wrap around the four sides of the box. Take the modge podge and spread it over one side of the box.


Wrap the fabric around the box and press down to help seal. Move onto the next side repeating to process till you have gone through all four sides.



Set the box right side up. If you choose to add a different color panel to the front now would be the time to add it. I simply layered on more modge podge and laid the fabric over to dry.



After the boxes have finished drying, cut off the excess fabric. I may choose to next time leave some extra fabric and wrap the adges as you would like a present.

I am pretty happy with how these turned out. They are so inexpensive and easy to make! Try this out for a great way to store some of your extra craft supplies!

No comments:

Post a Comment